A National Historic Landmark open to the public since 1912
The Garden was laid out in its present form by Alexander Hamilton Ladd in the late nineteenth century. His daily records reveal that he obtained plants from the gardens of his mother and grandmother and that he was an enthusiastic bulb gardener.
A 300-foot axis path flanked by formal gardens leads from the house up four terraces to a wrought-iron gate at the rear boundary. Grass steps lead to the upper flower beds.
An English damask rose planted in 1768 by Sarah Catherine Mason Moffatt and the enormous horse chestnut tree planted in 1776 by General William Whipple upon his return from signing the Declaration of Independence can still be seen today. The horse chestnut tree was designated the Millennium Landmark Tree for the State of New Hampshire in 2000, and is on the National Register of Historic Trees.
The Garden may be rented for weddings, wedding receptions, birthday parties, and other similar functions. Please see the Rental page for more information.
Our Horsechestnut tree planted by William Whipple in 1776
The garden of the Moffatt-Ladd House
Owned and operated by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of New Hampshire